Subtle seasoning and spices bring out the flavour of the drumsticks in this classic southern-fried chicken recipe
Enjoy a taste of the American south with a crunchy slaw on the side that’s sure to become a family favourite.
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 250ml buttermilk
- 85g cornflour
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 2 litres vegetable oil
- For the slaw
- 125g sour cream
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ red cabbage, shredded
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 apple, cored, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Cover the chicken with the buttermilk and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Put the chicken in a colander to drain the excess buttermilk.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the cornflour with the spices and 1 tsp salt.
- Dip in the chicken and shake to remove excess flour.
- Heat the oil in a deep, heavy-based saucepan and carefully deep-fry the chicken, in batches for 6-8 mins, until golden.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 mins.
- For the slaw, mix the sour cream, lemon juice and seasoning together, then pour over the vegetables and apple and toss well to combine.
- Serve with the chicken and garnish with lemon wedges.
From the Good Homes Magazine editors.
Original recipe from Harvest by Emilie Guelpa